Embarking on a car journey with children, especially during the warm summer months, can certainly be an adventure. However, with some clever preparation and engaging activities, this trip can easily turn into a delightful and exciting start to your coastal holiday. Embrace the journey as part of the fun, creating unforgettable memories with your family before you even reach the beach.
Preparation is Key: Vehicle Readiness!
Before you set out, ensure your vehicle is up to the task. It's important to check your air conditioning, coolant levels, fuel and tire pressure at least a few days before your trip. The last thing you want is a breakdown with kids in the backseat!
Pack light but smart. Essentials include:
- Sun Protection: Sunscreen, hats, and window shades will protect your little ones from the Sun.
- Hydration: Bring plenty of water to keep everyone hydrated.
- Snacks: Opt for healthy, non-messy snacks like cut-up fruits, cheese cubes, and rice cakes.
- First-Aid Kit: Always have a first-aid kit on hand for any unexpected scrapes or bites.
- Entertainment: Books, favourite toys, and electronic devices with headphones can be lifesavers.
- Cleaning Supplies: Wet wipes, a small trash bag, and hand sanitiser are must-haves wherever you go.
Ensure that child seats are properly installed and that all children are securely fastened in before departing. Brush up on the NSW child restraint laws to ensure you're in compliance.
Dress your children in loose, light-coloured clothing. Opt for layers that can be easily adjusted with the changing temperatures throughout the day and into the evening.
On the Road: Entertainment and Games
Long drives can be challenging for kids, but with a few tricks up your sleeve, you can keep boredom at bay:
- Traditional Car Games: Old-fashioned car games are perfect for keeping kids engaged. "I Spy," "20 Questions," and "The Number Plate Game" are great starters. You could also tailor games to the Aussie landscape - counting birds or other wildlife you might spot along the way.
- Tech to the Rescue: Tablets and portable gaming devices can be a huge help on long drives. Before you leave, download a few child-friendly apps, games, and videos. Both iOS and Android operating systems have child-friendly settings and parental control options. Don't forget to charge the devices and consider bringing a car charger or power bank!
Audiobooks and Music: Create a family-friendly playlist with songs everyone can sing along to. Audiobooks are also fantastic for passing the time and come in handy if reading in the car causes motion sickness.
How to Get to NSW Central Coast
Getting to NSW's Central Coast by road is a scenic and straightforward drive.
If you're starting in Sydney, you'll take the M1 Pacific Motorway and head North. The trip usually takes around an hour and a half, depending on traffic. Families may also benefit from using NorthConnex, which links the Hills M2 Motorway at West Pennant Hills with the M1 Pacific Motorway at Wahroonga.
From Newcastle, take the Pacific Highway south towards Sydney, with the journey to the Central Coast taking approximately one hour.
Signage is clear and plentiful, making the drive to the Central Coast an easy and enjoyable part of your getaway.
Plan your Stops
Whilst 60-90 minutes from Newcastle or Sydney doesn't sound demanding, it's important to take regular breaks on any road trip, especially with children.
Consider stopping at Mt Penang Gardens, Brisbane Water National Park, The Bulgandry Aboriginal Engravings or Gosford Edogawa Commemorative Garden to stretch your legs, use restrooms, and burn off some energy.
Important Tip: Never leave children unattended in a car, especially in the Summer. Even with the window down, car temperatures can soar to dangerous levels quickly.
Arriving at Your Destination
Upon reaching the Central Coast, take a moment to freshen up and unwind from the drive. Acknowledge the children's good behaviour and patience during the trip.
Visit our Accom office relevant to your property either in Ettalong, Pearl Beach, Terrigal or Avoca. Check-in time for all our properties is at 2pm. We will try to accommodate an earlier check-in if your property is ready, give our team a call on the day of your arrival.
It's now time to indulge in the natural beauty and activities the coast offers - from sparkling beaches dotted along the coast, lush hinterlands to family-friendly attractions. Congratulations you've found your perfect escape!